Thursday, December 24, 2009

Does just conditioning dogs have the same effect as shampooing?

i know that shampooing a dog too often can strip natural oils etc, but if you just condition them every few days does it do the same? conditioner is more moisturising i thought..? i shampoo once a month...Does just conditioning dogs have the same effect as shampooing?
Conditioner won't dry the coat out, but, it will start to build up and attract dirt.


Try this, bathe your dog no more often than once a week in an oatmeal based DOG Shampoo, followed up with an oatmeal based conditioner, or remoisturizer.


www.espree.com sells a really good line of oatmeal shampoos and a GREAT remoisurizer, called Luxury Remoisturizer. I use this line in my grooming shop and bathe and condition my show Havanese and Afghans in it weekly. It's great stuff.Does just conditioning dogs have the same effect as shampooing?
conditioner wont really ';clean';.. its designer to moisture the coat.





daily brushing will remove dirt, debris and loose hairs more effectivly... I dont think I'd want to condition my dog's coat every few days unless the dog has excessivly dry skin/coat.
This depends on whether your dog is long haired or short.


I've bred and shown dogs for over 31 years and these are all bath weekly.


My Lhasa Apso's are shampooed and conditioned the day before the show. During the week they are groomed daily and sprayed with a mix of babyoil, conditioner and water (equal parts).


My Boston's are bathed fortnightly ... shampoo / conditioner and brushed daily (they insist).


All my dogs have fantastic shiny correct coats.


Feed them right and keep them fresh and clean and you'll have no problems.
  • albinism
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment